Tuesday 7 September 2021

Squirrel Watercolour

Hello lovely peeps


Today's make was going to be a card when I started, but I was so pleased with how it came out that I framed it instead.

My inspiration was the current 'favourite wild animal' challenge at As You Like It and I decided on red squirrel.  They're so beautiful and intelligent (not to mention cute) and I have fond childhood memories of watching Tufty the Squirrel in the road safety cartoons when I was growing up.

I have a few squirrel stamps in my stash but this was by far the largest - it's from an old Sheena Douglass stamp set called 'Little Acorn'. I inked it with Rusty Hinge and Fired Brick distress inks before stamping onto watercolour card and then I drew out the colour with a wet paintbrush.

The eye and whiskers were done with a very fine paintbrush and Hickory Smoke distress ink and then I painted in a branch with Gathered Twigs distress ink.

A few paint splats finish it off.


I would like to enter my card in the following challenges:-

As You Like It Challenge Favourite wild animal & why (see above)
Stemplegarten #108 animals
Simon Says Stamp (Wed) Stamp It in Stamptember
Double D Challenges anything with a tail 


Thanks for stopping by, stay safe
Katrina x

11 comments:

Diane said...

Adorably cute framed image, perfect for fall! Thank you for joining our challenge at Double D!
Diane DD DT {Nellies Nest}

Darlene said...

Beautifully done Katrina! It was certainly worthy of framing! Great job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Anything with a Tail’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

Fikreta said...

Very nice card!

cotnob said...

This is gorgeous Katrina, a fabulous image and great water colouring.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

Sue said...

Gorgeous Katrina it's so wonderful in the frame! hugs Sue x

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant project, love the goodies added and colour for our current challenge, ANYTHING WITH A TAIL… Thanks for joining in at [aNNie Designer for Double D challenges
https://thejourneyisthestarthere.blogspot.com/{My Blog}

Ashwini Rao said...

What an incredibly cute squirrel!! Your coloring is absolutely fabulous, and I totally agree that you had to frame it! Thank you so much for joining us at the Happy Little Stampers Watercolor challenge!

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW I love your squirrell, Katrina. So adorable and you had to frame it, so beautiful. Your colouring is perfect.

Hugs
Anke

Brenda said...

I absolutely agree, this is definitely frame worthy!

BAstelfeti said...

Wow it is a wonderful squirrel watercolour.
I love it.

Greeting BAstelfeti

foleysfriend said...

You're right! This work of art is definitely worth framing. Incredible work with the whiskers and tree branch. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Watercolour Challenge.

sue n.