Thursday 5 January 2023

My first watercolour picture

Hello lovely peeps and a Happy New Year to you all, I hope you had a good Christmas.


Just popping in to share my first watercolour picture, a painting of my sister in law's dog for her (big) birthday.

I say "first", but this was my second attempt as I made the mistake of leaving the eyes until near the end on my first try. It didn't go well and where I tried to lift the colour out by wetting it I ended up with a horrible bobbly mess instead of an eye.

Since I can't draw for toffee I started off by printing off an enlarged version of a photo I took of him a few years back.



I traced him out onto tracing paper and transferred the pencil marks onto A3 watercolour card.



Using the photo as a guide I colored him in with diluted Brushos (black, dark brown, light brown, sandstone) using the wet on wet technique.

Once the face and body were done I went around the edges with masking fluid and used a toothpick to create some tufty bits before painting in the background (using the same colours as on the body).   


I found a nice frame and mount in The Range to finish him off.


If I look at it too long I start finding fault but I'm generally happy with how he turned out (and my sister-in-law loves it which is the main thing). 

Thanks for stopping by to read my ramblings, stay safe
Katrina x








1 comment:

Gibmiss said...

Hi Katrina
That’s fabulous …. A real ly good likeness …my daughter has Jack Russell s …
Hugs Sylvie xx