Thursday 1 December 2016

Nail varnish marbling for Leonie


Hello lovely peeps



I've made a background using nail varnish for this card.
Thank you to Heather from our crafting club for the idea :o)

First I half-filled a plastic tub with water then chose three co-ordinating nail varnish colours.


I loaded up the brushes with lots of polish and shook them over the tub


I did swirl the colours around a little with a cocktail stick, but found that it started to grab the varnish and pull it out of the water so I ended up just trying to drop colours within patches of other colours to make everything move about and give it interest.

When I was happy with it I laid an old book page on top of the water and then lifted it off.

I had a play with different colours but it was a bit hit and miss :o)


I cut down the page I was happy with and doodled on a border with a black fineliner pen


 I stamped on 'Forever' from the 'Dizzy Daisy' stamp set with black Versafine ink. A bit of the nail varnish lifted off with the stamp at this point, so I had to fill in a bit of the lettering with a pen. Oops!


I ran some black card through my ebosser with the 'All the Love' die - if you put wax paper between the die and the card everything pops out like a dream


To make the hearts stand out a bit more from the busy background I glued some of the wax paper off-cuts inside the heart shapes using Collall photoglue


I would like to enter this in the following challenges:-
Crafty Gals Corner #100 Anything Goes
Crafting By Designs (monthly) December Anything Goes
 Love to Craft #5 Anything Goes
Card Mania #87 Anything Goes

Thanks for stopping by,
Katrina x

7 comments:

Wendy L said...

I have never heard of this technique before but it looks fab, xxx

hollyberry said...

Have wondered how you did this since I first saw it Katrina,think that it is a beautiful card x

McCrafty's Cards said...

Gorgeous card and clever technique Katrina,I am sorry I have not been around this week I have had Internet issues which I am hoping are sorted out now
Kevin xx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

What a great idea, looks fabulous

Pippa said...

Great card, I would never have thought of using nail varnish for a background like that. Thanks for joining in at Love to Craft Challenge. Pippa DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Love to Craft, good luck!!! Amy DT

Evie said...

Beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Card Mania Challenge. Good luck!

DT Evie