Saturday 24 October 2015

Near the Sea

Hello lovely peeps, hope you are all well.



This is the third and final competition card that I wanted to show you (I saved my favourite until last!)

Hubby and I fortunate enough to live 5 minutes walk from the coast and I love going down to watch the sea (even if I sometimes need binoculars!). I've wanted to do a boat shaped card for ages and I'm chuffed with how this one turned out. It's a shame they couldn't return it to me, I might have to make another one to go on my mantelpiece :)

To make the base I cut a circle of white card and folded it in half, then glued my mast (a stick from the garden) to the centre of the front half. The sails were cut by hand from linen textured card and I inked the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink. I put holes in the corners with my pokey tool and threaded through some paper twine to attach them to the mast & hull. The sentiment on the right-hand sail is from the By the Sea set by Hobby Art, stamped in Rich Cocoa Memento ink.


For the front of the card I die-cut half a circle from some corrugated card*, dabbed on a bit of texture paste and then glued some mesh along the top.

* I made my own - it's easy peasy. Take some old cardboard and paint water liberally all over one side of it. After a few minutes the top layer should peel away, leaving all those lovely ridges.
 
I attached some tiny shells along the top of the mesh with silicone glue.  The anchor was die-cut from kraft card using a die in the IO Nautical set. I inked it up with Versamark and sprinkled on embossing powder before heating (I think this one was pewter)

The bottom needed some decorating so I added a wave and some fish.


You probably won't recognise the die I used for the wave - it's actually one of the waste parts from the Brenda Walton Bird Scroll Bigz die.  I used some decorative paper, inked the edges with DI and then sprinkled on Shabby White frantage powder and some chunky glitter.

To get the fish shapes I stamped onto the back of some scrapbooking card with an old fish stamp from Papermania and cut them out before flipping over and inking the edges. They are covered with Glossy Accents.


I would like to enter this in the following challenges:-
Papertake Weekly - All About The Base
We Love 2 Create - #21 Anything Mixed Media/Creative Goes
Country View #32 - ADD some texture
Retarte #63 Anything Goes
Crafting by designs - Anything Goes in October
TTCRD - Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge Blog #250 Anything Goes
Polka Doodles Add Sparkle, Bling or Glitter
 Not Just Cards #25 Anything Goes

Hope you have a great weekend,
Katrina

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow Katrina, this is outstanding and a winner for sure!! xx

Donna Mosley said...

A really great make Katrina, love it.

Donna x

Keen Crafter's Hand Made Goodies said...

Just beautiful thank you for joining us at the WWODTC
Michelle DT

Anjie said...

Fab make. Thanks for joining us in our add bling or glitter challenge at Polkadoodles
Anjie (DT)

Claire said...

Wow what a fabulous card, such a creative idea and I love all the attention to detail too. I adore nautical projects to this one ticks all my boxes, love it!!! Thanks so much for joining our 'Anything mixed media/Creative goes' challenge at We Love 2 Create this time
Claire xx

NGCARDS said...

This is a great creation! Thanks for playing at Papertake Weekly! xxx

Doudou said...

Beautiful project! Love the colors. Thank you for joining us at Stampartpapel Retarte#63
Alexandra

Kat W said...

You definitely saved the best for last...this is totally stunning and all the natural elements you collected from the beach and your garden are wonderful. I love your tip about the corrugated card and will be trying that out for sure!

All your competition entries have been so lovely and I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Big hugs, Kat xx

Unknown said...

This is outstanding. Thank you for joining us and sharing at WWODTC
Heather DT

Vicki said...

This is wonderful! Thank you for entering the WWODT challenge. Best of luck with your entry.
Vicki, DT

Linette said...

This is really beautiful.
Thank you for joining us at WWODT Challenge.
Good luck

Greetz Linette (DT)

Andrea Beecroft said...

A super cute project. Thank you for sharing with us over at World Wide Open DT Challenge #4, good luck with your entry. Hugs Andrea DT

McCrafty's Cards said...

This is brilliant, Thanks for playing along with us at World wide Design team challenge, Good Luck
Kevin xx

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. I love all the details. Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the next challenge.
Sara
TTCRD DT
FP3 {My Blog}

Tina Goodwin said...

What a wonderful card. I love that you have used real shells. This card has a ton of character. I think you should make another for your mantel =) Thank you so much for entering our challenge at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge Blog Looking forward to see you again soon.
Hugs,
Tina
WWO DT
Toadally Love To Craft {My Blog}

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Fabulous thank you for joining us over on the WWODT Challenge '4'
Good Luck
Dianne DT

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

Wow fabulous.
Thank you for entering the World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
Annette DT

Unknown said...

Es una creacion adorable...te invito a que te animes a realizar una creacion especialmente para RETARTE...Feliz semana y gracias por participar...hermoso....Saludos, Paula,DT

8kidsandstillfindtimetocraft said...

Stunning creation thanks for joining the glitter and sparkle fun over at Polkadoodles and good luck.
Anita (DT)
http://www.polkadoodle.blogspot.co.uk/

Aunty Sue said...

brilliant creation and thanks for sharing in our Add Sparkle and Bling challenge at POLKADOODLES
Good luck Aunty Sue DT

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Clear It Out, good luck!!! Amy DT