Thursday 18 January 2018

Hello Monster

Hello lovely peeps


A really quick card today that I've made up for Day 4 of The Daily Marker 30 day colouring challenge.

The stamp is from an old set by Recollections which I stamped onto Elegance Satin 160gsm paper with Black Memento.

After colouring with Promarkers I added some shading with pencils and then fussy cut the image with a small border.


I wanted to use my new Darice embossing folder for the background but I was having a bit of trouble with it - every piece of card I embossed came out of the machine with creases in it like this:


The only card where I got a nice clean emboss was my thick watercolour card - 300gsm plus - and I really didn't want to waste this on embossing (especially since I wanted bright white card and I don't have many sheets of this).

I found a great little workaround though - emboss two pieces of thinner card together at the same time. You can use any old scrap for the back piece (it doesn't emboss very well) and some nice white card for the top piece, which comes out perfectly.


I would like to enter this in the following challenges:-
Oddball Art Stamps  Feature a creature
Simply Less is More #362 purples
Penny Black and More  Something New (embossing folder)
SSS Work it wednesday  use something new to you
Inspiration Destination  #142 embossing 

Thanks for stopping by,
Katrina x

13 comments:

PaperPlotterLottas-CraftChaos said...

Such a cute monster card.
Thank you so much for joining us at Oddball Art Stamps Blog Challenge.
Hugs, Tina – DT
Oddball Challenge

Chris said...

Fabulous card Katrina, lovely CAS design and bold embossing (thanks for the tip- will remember that) the large embossed print gave me the impression that the little monster is shouting the greeting! Clever and fun!
Chris
x

Fikreta said...

Wonderful card!
hugs

Anne said...

Love it, I get a bit scared leaving all that white space although I love to see it. The embossing folder fills the space without filling it (if you know what I mean!)
Nice tip too, I know what you mean about not wanting to use your best card!

Anne x

PS. I managed to find the lovely Stampendous flowery butterfly you used last week on ebay - very happy!

Sue said...

Cute card Katrina love the embossing huggles Sue xx

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Penny Black & More @ Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Angie said...

Wonderful make! Thanks for joining us for Oddball Stamps Blog Challenge.
Angie DT

Carole Pollard said...

such a fun Monster its just great Love and hugs Carole x

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

What a fab little monster! It brought a smile to my face. There may be a little too much embossing in the background for our tastes at Less is More (you know how we love that clear, clean unembellished space on cards). But all in all it is a cracking card. Thanks for letting us see it at Less is More xx

Trina P. said...

Adorable card. Very creative solution to achieving a thicker paper for a better background impression. I love the textured background, but it’s a little bit busy as we love our untouched white space in our challenge. Thank you for sharing with us at Less is More.

Mervi said...

Clever and cute card Katrina.
Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and more;-))m

Suzi McKenzie said...

A gorgeous creation, I love the contrast between that brightly coloured monster and crisp white background, really cool creation.
Thanks for joining us at the Oddball Art Stamps Challenge Blog
hugs
Suzi
xxx

Patricia Alvarez said...

I love your card!!! I love embossing and I love monsters (I have the very same stamp myself). This is the kind of design that I like the most. Embossed background and colored image. Simple but beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at Inspiration Destination. Good luck!!! Patricia